Simpson & Co was founded in 1840 by Mr A.M. Simpson & Mr Hide to engage in a business in “coach-building, harness and boot making” and emerged as the leading coach manufacturing outfit in India, even being appointed as the Coach Manufacturer to the Price of Wales in 1876.
In the first decade of the 20th century, Simpson entered the “motor car business”, by building bodies on car chassis for manufacturers such as Rolls Royce, Hotchkiss and Napier. This led to body building for passenger and public utility vehicles such as buses and ambulances. This business grew to such an extent that the main business of Simpson & Co at one point was the building of bus bodies, tractors, bowsers and articulated tank trailers.
Simpson & Co had many firsts during this period
Simpsons today supplies engines for over 200 applications catering to the domestic as well as export markets.